At Twist of Pine, we have some new signs and coasters with inspiring message, funny quirks, and lovely sayings. While reading through them, I started thinking, what makes something inspirational? What makes me enjoy reading these?
Then I started thinking about the word inspirational, what it meant, and how people could be inspirational.
According to Merriam-Webster, “Inspiration” is:
1. a: a divine influence or action on a person believed to qualify him or her to receive and communicate sacred revelation
1. b: the action or power of moving the intellect or emotions
1. c: the act of influencing or suggesting opinions
Some people say everyone needs inspiration at one time or another. Writer/Journalist Jortigas said, “Inspiration is food for our soul that desperately drives us to be better and be the person we want to be.”
Motivational quotes can be a way to build up our inner strength when searching for inspiration or trying to inspire others.
For me personally, it can be a daily reminder to be positive, happy, and caring.
Kathy Caprino, a women’s career and personal success coach, that contributes articles to Forbes.com, said inspiring people tend to have three core behaviors or traits:
- They have forged their own authentic path — taken a hard, unpaved road that goes against the grain and demanded a tremendous show of guts, strength, commitment, and perseverance
- They are supremely “other-focused” – they derive an enormous sense of satisfaction and reward – and spend most of their professional time and energy — helping other people, or organizations and enterprises, grow and flourish
- They are riveting storytellers
I think inspiring people persevere. You do not have to go through a life changing ordeal in order to be inspiring. A mom who successfully gets her family up, moving, and fed for the day, while also tending to her own needs, can be inspirational. Attitude is the key.
In a Huffington Post article, Thomas Barta said, “Inspiring people starts with one person: yourself. If you have the spark of inspiration, you can inspire others.”
He thought that people can be inspired by very different things, and often by very small things.
Maybe a stranger held the door open for you when you walked into Twist of Pine and this act inspired you to do something kind for another stranger in town.
In the end, my research found that many people have very different and very similar opinions about inspiration. The overlying theme though was people need to be inspired and can do great things when they are.
So, whether you are inspired by quotes, humor, or love, we at Twist of Pine would love to help you find your inspiration and fill your home with it.